Most people having question in their mind that even after having a first child, why some women are unable to conceive second time. But it is true that after having first child, some women have difficulty to conceive in second time. There may be numerous reasons behind it. In this article, we are going to discuss on secondary infertility.
Mostly women become mother in first time but few of them find it difficult to conceive in second time, this condition is known as secondary infertility. Secondary sterility refers to a state where a woman has an inability to get pregnant or to complete full term of pregnancy in second time. Means, if a woman has an incompetence again to get pregnant having one or more years of unprotected intercourse or in some cases women may conceive but are unable to complete full pregnancy cycle of 9 months and get miscarried, both situations are known as secondary infertility. Infertility may be classified into two types.
• Primary Infertility
• Secondary Infertility
Primary infertility can be defined as a situation for a woman not being able to become pregnant even after having a regular unprotected sexual intercourse. While secondary infertility indicates the difficulty for a woman in conceiving on second time. Both, primary and secondary infertility have the same causes. Listed below are some essential causes of infertility, which often related to secondary sterility.
1. Ovulation disorder is one of the most essential causes of sterility by which many women are struggling. In such case, eggs do not pass out of the ovaries and making it difficult for couples to become parent in second time. It is also known as ovulation failure.
2. Limitation of eggs in women are innate and are unable to make new eggs after delivery of first time. According to a study, after 40 years of age, the quantity of eggs remain very low in the ovary and this quantity has a high risk of chromosomal problems and without good quality of egg, it is difficult to conceive.
3. Tubes blockage is an important causes of infertility in women. The fallopian tube has a vital role in conception as it transfers the egg from ovary to uterus. In this, there is a fertilization of eggs and sperms but the fertilization procedure is stopped by the blockage of tubes.
4. Secondary infertility may consist endometriosis as a cause and it occurs when the presence of cells are found outside the uterus. Tissue of endometrial develop outside the uterus which steer to obstacle in conceiving and also impair to pelvic organs.
5. Age matters in fertility. It is said that it’s just a number and can be count only but here it is concerned. Fertility of a woman is high in age of 20 years but it starts decreasing along with the quality and quantity of eggs after age of 35 years.
6. Pregnancy problems may include cesarean delivery and D&C process.
7. It may be difficult to become a mother for the second time because of other reasons such as polycystic ovary syndrome, breastfeeding, obesity, autoimmune disorder, uterine fibroids, pelvic inflammatory disease, abnormal uterine shape, polyps and infection. These may affect the fertility of a woman too.
In my opinion, if couples are unable to conceive even trying for 8-12 months of unprotected sex then they may seek a fertility specialist. Once the specialist knows about fertility problem of both the partners then he may ask you to done certain tests such as ovulation test, blood test, x-ray of fallopian tubes, pelvic exams, transvaginal ultrasound etc. to have a look on the uterus and cervix to check the hormonal level and as a result come out from tests, the specialist may then suggest the best possible treatment to become a parent for the second time.